How to start a WordPress Blog The Right Way (2020)
If you are here, its because you are looking to start a WordPress blog and make money from it. In past few months I have been asked a lot of questions regarding starting a blog and starting a blog the right way.
If you are thinking what is the difference between the two? Let me explain it briefly.
Buying a domain name, hosting and publishing content is one part of blogging and when you add other aspects to it such as setting up blog correctly, having access to right tools from the start and knowing the promotional techniques from the very first day that makes a lot of difference.
Having said that,
In this tutorial, I have shared everything you need to know about How to start a new WordPress blog, this article covers
- Benefits of Blogging
- Selecting Niche (topic)
- Tips to find a Domain name
- Picking a domain name and hosting
- Installing WordPress
- Setting up your blog the right way
- Selecting and installing theme
- Adding plugins
- Creating pages and posts
- Generating traffic
- Making money from Blogging
And I assure you by the end of this tutorial you will have a blog that will be correctly set up for success.
Why should you start a WordPress blog
Blogging is a medium of self-expression. You can share your ideas, knowledge, experience or expertise online. There are several reasons why people start a blog. For most people its either passion, making money online or simply using the blog as a daily journal.
Blogging offers as a great platform to establish yourself as an authority in a particular niche which also boosts your credibility.
For me, blogging started as a passion and has now turned into a full-time business. After I started blogging, it made a positive impact on my life.
The most important of change being growing mentally stronger and confident. I have acquired new skills which have made me grow and change my life for the better.
Here are some of the benefits of blogging:-
- Once you start blogging you will surely see a huge boost in your creative skills. Every blog post you write will increase your thinking and writing abilities.
- Blogging is simply fun and rewarding at the same time. You can share your thoughts and at the same time earn money.
- It is definitely better than the regular 9 to 5. You are your own boss. The internet lifestyle is craved by many and blogging is one of the roads that lead to it.
- When you’ll start your blog, every now and then you will face challenges. To overcome the hurdles you’ll learn new skills on a regular basis.
- Once you have a blog up and running and you have a reader base, you will experience the feeling of achievement which will motivate you to take it a step further.
Choose a Profitable Blogging niche
To build a successful blog having a vision for the blog is of the utmost importance. A niche or a topic is something your blog is based on. The vision for the blog will be based on this topic.
The topic should be something that excites you and most importantly you enjoy talking about. It is not important to be an expert on the subject. The key to success is the willingness to learn with each passing day and passion.
It is easier to create content on a regular basis when you are passionate about something.
There are various themes that your content can be based on such as:-
- Food and cooking
- Real Estate
- Life Hacks
- Film and photography
- Heath and fitness
and many more topics
You can pick any of the topics. The key to success is providing a solution to a problem, an answer to a question or sharing a personal experience. That means anything that provides value to your readers.
Pick a Domain name and Reliable Hosting for your Blog
The next step in the process is finding a domain name and hosting for your blog. Your domain name is the name of the blog on the internet. It is your brand name.
For example- the domain name for this blog is bloggingunplugged.com and the brand name is Blogging Unplugged.
Naming your blog totally depends on your blogging niche. The name and the topic has to be relatable.
There are chances, most of the simple domain names you find are already taken. And yes this can be a bit of a task but you need to get your creative juices flowing and use the below-mentioned tips to find the perfect custom domain name.
- The name has to be easy to type. Avoid using misspelled names. This makes the name confusing and there are chances you’ll be losing on traffic.
- Try to get a .com extension first. The reason behind this is simple. Most people associate brand names with corresponding .com’s. If the .com extension is not available then go for other extensions such as .co or .org.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens in the names. It is very difficult to remember the names that have hyphens or numbers in them.
- Select a name that can be converted into a brand rather than a personal name. If the blog is a personal journal it is fine using a personal name.
- Stay away from using copyrighted material as using it can get you into a lot of trouble.
These tips will surely help you find a a domain name for your blog
Once you have selected the domain name its time to buy hosting for your blog.
What is Web Hosting?
Web hosting is a service that is used to post a website or a webpage on the web. Because of this service, internet users can view your blog or any other website online.
The domain name and web hosting are two inseparable entities. A domain name is used to find your blog ( it’s your identity) and web hosting is the service that will allow you to publish your blog online.
You can find tons of hosting providers online but I highly recommend using Bluehost.
Here are a few reasons on Why I recommend using Bluehost-
- Bluehost is one of the recommended hosting providers by WordPress.org.
- Over 2 million websites are hosted on Bluehost.
- The support offered is 24/7 and is incredibly fast.
- They offer a free domain and SSL certificates with the hosting packages.
- Bluehost offers hassle-free 1 click WordPress installations.
Isn’t that great!
With that said its time to purchase hosting and get started.
It will take you to a new page where you will be asked to select the web hosting package.
Bluehost offers 4 plans
- Choice Plus
I will suggest you go for the Basic plan if you are a beginner and not expecting too much traffic from the start.
And with time as you grow you can upgrade.
Plus and Choice Plus are available at same price and have almost similar features. Between both of these I prefer Plus as site backup is a feature that can be implemented using a plugin such as BackupBuddy. Also, Choice Plus renews at a higher price.
Pro plan is for you, if you are expecting decent amount of traffic and need higher lever of server resources.
Select the desired package and the next thing you need to do is pick a domain.
You can claim your free domain right away or if you have an existing domain, enter the domain name in the box and select next.
Note- In case you already have a domain name you can always claim your free domain later. Also, if you choose to select the domain name later. Bluehost will provide you with a temporary domain name and you can pick a name later.
After clicking next, you are required to fill in your account information and sign up.
In the next section, you need to select the term of the web hosting package. With Bluehost, you get the maximum discount with longer term plans. This means if you purchase hosting for 3 years you will get the introductory offer on the next 2 years as well.
It will not only save you money, but also you will not have renewal charges bothering you every year. Once you have selected the term, you can see Free SSL and Domain name are included in the plan.
If you are using an existing domain then it will not display Primary Domain Registration as Free. However you can claim that free domain anytime.
The next section is package extras where you will find three additional options
- Sitelock security
- Codeguard Basic
- Bluehost SEO tools start
These features are by default selected and you need to deselect them. But consider buying domain privacy so that you do not get spammed by telemarketers.
Again, if you are using an existing domain you will not find the domain privacy feature.
After completing the process till here. All you have to do is pay for the package. Bluehost offers 2 payment options-
- Through credit card
- Using PayPal
Once the payment is made, you will be taken to a new screen which will ask you to create a password for your account.
Click the create password button and enter your desired password.
You can use the suggest password option which will provide you with a safe and secure password. Hit the next button and you are done purchasing web hosting for your blog.
On completing this process you will receive the following in your email-
- Payment Receipt
- Login Information
- Activation link
Once you click next, on the next screen you need to click the login button which will take you to your hosting dashboard.
Set up and Install WordPress
When you click the login button the first screen you will ask you to select a WordPress theme.
You can select a theme from the available options or skip it.
If you select a theme, in the beginning, it does not mean you’ll be stuck with that theme forever. You can always change and update the theme of your blog later. We have covered more about this later in this article.
After you have picked the theme or skipped the step. The next window will have 2 options
- Start building
- Go to my Bluehost account
In the above image, you can see a warning that I encountered. It is important to know there are chances your website or blog will be on a temporary domain for a while. But you don’t have to worry, at times it takes a few hours for the domain name to show.
Note- If you have clicked go to my Bluehost account by any chance then you can either click back and it will take you to the above screen.
When you select the start building option, you will enter the WordPress dashboard which looks like this.
You have now entered the WordPress dashboard. Congratulations!
You can now enter the WordPress dashboard using www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin. (yourdomain is the name of your domain)
In the dashboard, you will encounter 2 options
Select the option that best suits you.
Once you have selected the option, on the next screen you have to enter the title and description of your website.
In the Site Title, enter the name of your blog or website.
For example- I will enter Blogging Unplugged in the site title as that is the name of the website without the www part.
Site Description will be a short and sweet explanation of your website. Remember site name and description can be changed later.
Hit the next step button and you will see a new screen that says Let’s Launch and you’ll be asked if you are going to update your website with blog or news.
And just click yes.
Now you’ ll have to select what visitors can see on your home page.
It totally depends on your requirements, if the home page will feature most recent news or updates or a static home page.
Following this, you will get an option to create a contact us page so that visitors can contact you.
But can skip this step and create a contact us page later.
On completing this you will get an option to connect the Jetpack plugin. This is a very important step in securing your website. I will highly recommend integrating the Jetpack plugin before going further.
Jetpack is a very popular WordPress plugin by Automattic. With the help of Jetpack, you can design and secure your blog and also grow your traffic. This plugin can be used for free.
Also you can always connect the plugin later.
And finally, the process is complete. Congratulations you have created your first self-hosted WordPress blog.
Now before you start creating posts, the next thing you have to do is
Setting up your WordPress blog correctly
Now that you are done installing WordPress, you may have noticed there are a few things that come pre installed or by default in WordPress. And you may not require some of them. These include
- Sample Page
- Sample comment
- Unused themes
And more. Also, WordPress comes pre-installed with anti-spam plugin known as Akismet. This plugin will help you filter spam from comments.
If you are wondering how to set it up and is it free or premium?
Let me tell you Akismet is a freemium plugin. This means it is available in both free and premium versions. And if you want to use this plugin for free, you can follow our guide on How to set up Akismet for free.
Deleting dummy content and configuring Akismet is just 10% of set up and there are more things that you have to do after starting a new WordPress blog.
And these include
- Branding your blog
- Completing profiles
- Setting up permalink structure
- Installing Cache
- Improving security
- Setting up backup
And much more. For this you can follow our tutorial on How to set up WordPress correctly.
Once WordPress is correctly set up, the next task on the list is working on the design.
Choose a WordPress theme for your blog
When it comes to your online presence, website design is the first thing that people see when they land on your website. And it is important to leave a good and lasting impression.
After a fresh WordPress install, the appearance of your blog is very minimalistic and not something someone will remember. This means your website needs a new design or a WordPress theme.
Now, designing can be a daunting task for someone who has never ventured in this area. However, WordPress has tons of free and premium themes that you can use and make your blog attractive.
There is built-in library of free themes that you can access directly from your dashboard. If you want to try some free themes, all you have to do is, in your WordPress dashboard go to Appearance >> Themes >> Add New
And you will find the WordPress built-in theme repository. You can sort these themes based on popularity, recent upload and on basis of several features. Also, you can search for themes using the search fuction.
In case you find your perfect theme and want to find out how it will look, you need to hover your cursor on the theme and it will give you 3 options
- Detail and Preview– When you click on it, it will take you to new page where you will see the details of the theme and preview.
- Preview– This works the same way as above.
- Install– The name says it all, when you click this button it will install the theme.
Having said that,
Now if you unable to find your perfect theme in the library, there are plenty of Premium themes available in market that you can try.
If you are wondering which one do I recommend free or premium.
I will suggest going with the premium ones as premium WordPress themes come with all the necessary documentation and support which makes life so much easier when customizing.
Also, in situations where you may face technical difficulty, you have a team of experts to support you. Below I’m listing a few themes I recommend
- GeneratePress– This is a lightweight theme with over 2.3 million downloads, 200k+ active websites and a customer base of over 50k. GeneratePress is secure, stable and optimized for performance.
- Elegant Themes– Elegant themes is a collection of beautiful themes and powerful plugins. Yes, it is not a single theme or plugin. It is a package that includes popular theme like Divi and plugins like Monarch and Bloom email opt-in. It is an ultimate toolkit using which you can build unlimited websites.
- Genesis by StudioPress– If you are looking for a minimalistic yet elegant themes. Themes powered by Genesis framework are for you. These themes have rock solid security, fast performance and optimized for SEO.
After installing WordPress theme, the next step is increasing the functionality of your blog. And this can be done by using plugins
Getting started with WordPress plugins
If you have never heard about plugins, let me tell you little bit about it.
Plugins are small individual programs or software that you can install in WordPress to add features and functionalities on your site.
There is common saying in the WordPress world ” think about adding a feature to your website and you can find a plugin for it”. And this is quiet true.
There are 3 types of plugins in WordPress
- Free– These plugins are available for free and can be found in the plugin repository built-in your WordPress dashboard.
- Freemium– Freemium plugins are the ones that have both free and paid versions. Some features are available for free while for others you need to pay.
- Premium– As the name suggests, Premium plugins are the ones that require you to pay for using them.
To know more about plugins and how to use them. You can follow our guide on How to install a WordPress plugin.
This take me to my next point which is
What are the necessary plugins for a new WordPress blog
There are quiet a few plugins that you need on a new WordPress blog. This basically depends on what features and functionalities you are looking to add.
But still here is a list of the necessary ones and I use them on my blog as well.
- Rank Math or Yoast SEO– The first plugin on the list is Rank Math or Yoast SEO. These are the 2 SEO plugins we recommend and are available for free. You will only need one of these to guide you through the SEO process while you are creating posts or pages.
If you are thinking, which one am I using. The answer is I use both. However, I prefer Rank Math as it has more features when compared to Yoast.
- WP Rocket– The next plugin on the list is WP Rocket, it is a cache plugin that will help you improve page speed. No one wants to visit a slow loading website and on top of that it leaves a negative impression. And you don’t want that.
With the help of WP Rocket you can boost your page speed with a minimum effort and configuration.
- UpdraftPlus– After speeding up your website, you need a plugin that will help you create regular automatic backups of your website. And for this you need UpdraftPlus.
Often you will make changes to your website to improve it. However, not every time everything goes as per plan and in this situation you need a backup plugin so that you can easily restore to a previously working version.
- Elementor– When you start a blog, often you will have to build landing pages that convert and for this either you need to be expert in designing and development or you will need a plugin like Elementor.
Elementor is a page builder that has drag and drop feature that will help you create amazing web pages without having to worry about code. This website is created using Elementor.
- Social Snap– In blogging engagement plays an important role. Be it getting shares or followers, everything adds up to increasing reach and for this you need social snap.
Social snap is the best social media plugin that allows your content to be shared on over 30 platforms and you can choose to add follow buttons from over 40 networks. Currently, there is no other plugin that gives you access to such a huge network.
- iThemes Security– Every now and then we hear websites getting hacked and later on come across the fact that the website owner was not using a security plugin.
To boost your sites security and prevent any type of security compromise you need a security plugin, and we recommend using iThemes security.
- Optimole – A blog post is not complete until you include images and if you don’t optimize them, it can negatively impact the page speed. This is where Optimole helps.
Optimole will automatically optimize images without impacting the quality of the image. This is a must have plugin if you want to upload high resolution images without impacting load speed.
Once you are done till here, the next step is
Creating Pages and Posts
Till now you have set up WordPress correctly, changed theme of your site and increased functionality by using plugins.
And this takes us to the next step which is creating pages and posts.
Before we begin, it is important to understand that pages and posts are created in a very similar way. However, both of these are different that each and other and are used for different purposes.
Pages are static and are used to post content that will not be updated for a long time. For example, about us, contact or resources page.
Also, it is important to keep in mind, pages are hierarchical. This means you can have sub pages.
On the other hand,
Posts are dynamic and are used to showcase content that may require updating on a regular basis. Unlike pages, posts are displayed in reverse chronological order and to organize these you have taxonomies categories and tags.
Now that you know the difference, it is important that you create some necessary pages first and then starting publishing posts. And this takes me to my next question which is
How can you create a page in a WordPress blog
Creating a page in WordPress in very straight forward and the first step is to head over to Pages >> Add New in the WordPress dashboard.
Alternatively, you can click Pages and it will take you to a new screen where you will find Add New button.
On clicking it, you will enter the WordPress editor and your screen will look very similar to the screenshot below.
Keep in mind, depending on the theme you are using and plugins you have installed, there may be some extra elements.
All you need to enter the title where it says “Add Title” and below that you can add the body of the page.
Once you are done creating the page, click Preview to see how it looks and click Publish if satisfied.
Now you know the process of creating a page in WordPress is not complicated. And this takes me to my next question which is
Which pages should every blog have
The first page on the list is about. This page can be found on every website or blog and it defines the purpose of the site. Using this page you can tell the people about your blog and yourself.
This will help you build a connection between you and your readers and if you are finding it difficult to craft this page, I suggest you try answering the questions below.
- What is the purpose of the blog?
- Who is the person behind the blog?
- What made you start a blog and share your experience?
- What are you going to share?
- What are the future plans and your achievements?
- How can your readers connect with you?
All of the above questions lead to one question which is What is your story? Just express yourself!
Contact us page is very important for any blog as it allows readers, collaborators and potential clients to reach out to you using this page.
Also, at times people wil drop their thoughts, suggestions and recommendations that will help you improve your blog in the long run.
Having said that,
WordPress does not come with a pre-built contact form and for this you will need a plugin.
And to create a Contact us page I highly recommend using WPForms. This is a multi-purpose plugin. Not only will it help you create a contact form but also will help you generate and capture leads which will help grow your blog.
When we talk about legal pages on a blog, it includes
- Terms and conditions
The purpose of these pages is to make sure you are in
- Accordance with the law
- Have a defined set of terms and conditions that explain your business practices clearly
- Explains how you collect, handle and process data
- Disclosing any monetary relationships
If you are thinking you need a lawyer for this then that’s true. However, there is a better and quick solution.
You can visit privacypolicy.com and generate these legal documents for blog. In case you are unable to do so, then you can opt for one of the premium plans and let me tell you it won’t cost you a fortune. The plans are available at a very pocket friendly prices.
Having said that
Once you are done till here, the next step is
Creating your first post in WordPress
Finally, you can create your first blog post. Creating a post in WordPress is very similar to creating a page in WordPress.
Let me show you how.
On the left-hand side in the WordPress dashboard, you can see a tab that says Posts.
All you need to do is either click post button or just hover your mouse over it and you’ll see an option that says add new, click it. You will see the below screen when you click post.
Once you click add new button, it will take you to the WordPress Gutenberg editor where you can create your post.
WordPress has a very user-friendly interface, you can easily know where you need to enter the title and body of your blog post.
Enter the title and write the body of the post. It is important to know Gutenberg is a block editor and for each element you want to add there is a block available.
And as far as editing the text is concerned, you can find each and every formatting tool on the right when you select a particular block.
Once you have written the content, click Preview to see how the post will appear to your readers. If you are satisfied, hit publish button which is right next to preview. You will find the option to preview and publish on the right of your screen.
And that’s it you have written your first piece of content on your new self-hosted WordPress blog.
After you are done creating pages and posts. The next step is getting traffic.
Generating traffic to your new WordPress blog
There are several ways to drive traffic to your blog, but there are 2 prominent sources of traffic that you will find on every list
Let’s start off with SEO first.
SEO is also known as search engine optimization and it is the technique that helps you generate traffic from search engines.
To generate traffic from search engines, the first step is to index your site. Until and unless, your blog is not in the search engine database you cannot get traffic from searches.
The process may sound technical with all the fancy terms, but it is a 5-minute job. All you have to do is follow our detailed guide on How to add a website in Google
Once you are done adding your blog in Google, it is important to know the work isn’t over as adding a website in search engines does not mean ranking.
SEO is a long term and slow process, the tasks that you will perform today will give you results after sometime.
With that said,
When we talk about SEO, it covers wide range of topics such as
- Keyword Research
- On Page optimization
- Off Page optimization
- Improving user experience
- Social Signals
And more. In order to get started with SEO you can start with our guide on Quick SEO Tips.
After SEO comes Pinterest. This platform has been growing at rate faster than any other social media platform. And has become a valueable source of traffic.
You may like to read– What is Pinterest
Often Pinterest is referred to as the search engine of images.
In order to get started with Pinterest, the first thing you need is a business account. Now before we start, it is important to know, you can create 2 types of profiles on Pinterest.
Pinterest business account has quite a lot of advantages over Personal. Here are a few
- Layout of a business account is much more appealing.
- To perform any commercial activity on Pinterest you need a business profile and it is clearly mentioned in the TOS.
- You get access to all the features including analytics, if you have a business account. However, this is not the case in Personal.
- You can create business account on Pinterest for free. Also, if you already have a personal profile and want to convert it to business, you can do that as well.
To create a business account on Pinterest, follow our tutorial on How to create a Pinterest Business account
Once you have created a business profile, the next step is to optimize it and start pinning. When we talk about optimizing a Pinterest profile, the first thing you need to do is
- Get a profile picture– Now, this is not just any profile picture. Using this image people will recognize you and connect with you on the platform. If you are an individual, I will suggest using your image as the profile picture. In case you don’t want to use a personal image, logo of your blog will work just fine.
- A descriptive description– Description plays an important role on Pinterest algorithm. Make sure to use keywords in your description but avoid stuffing. It should include what your blog is about and what type of information can people get from you.
- Vertical pins only– Before you start pinning, it is important to know vertical pins perform better on Pinterest and the aspect ratio is 2:3. This means a pin with size 600 × 900 will be perfect.
If you are someone who is not into designing creating pins can be a problem and for that you can use Stencil and Canva. I personally use both of them and recommend these tools.
- Creating a schedule– One of the most important things you need to be successful on Pinterest is having a regular posting schedule. If you do it manually it consumes a lot of time.
This means you need a right mix of manual + scheduled pinning and for scheduling pins you can use Tailwind.
It is one of the best Pinterest schedulers and has features that will skyrocket your growth on Pinterest.
- Implementing Rich Pins– Once you are familiar with the platform, have a business account and have pinned a few times, the next thing you have to do is implement rich pins. These pins are very different from normal pins as these pins fetch Title and description from your article and stand out in the Pinterest feed.
This process takes hardly 5 minutes to implement and for this you can follow our tutorial on applying for Pinterest Rich Pins.
Now that you are all setup on Pinterest, it is important to understand promoting content online and driving traffic to your blog involves a multi-channel approach.
You will have to create profiles and be active on other social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
This may seem like a lot of work just after starting a blog. But once all of these profiles are set up, then you can slowly incorporate each one of these platforms in your schedule and gradually cover every major platform.
There is one more reason why I’m suggesting this. When you start a blog and want to build it into a business, branding from beginning pays incentive in the long run.
When I started out, the first thing I did after buying a domain name was blocking all the branded usernames so that I don’t have to compromise later.
With a lot of people joining social media platform these days, theere is a chance that the usernames you are looking for today will not be available tomorrow.
It is better you start creating profiles today and then slowly start sharing content.
I think you now have an idea on How to drive traffic to your blog.
And with that said,
It is time to learn
How to make money from a new WordPress blog
Frequently, the question how to start a blog is followed by how to make money from a blog. So I thought why separate these 2 questions here and briefly tell you about money making opportunities from blogging.
Before you start monetizing your blog, you will find yourself answering a question and that is when is the right time to monetize your blog?
This question has been asked several times on social media platforms and forums. And there are 2 answers to this
- Initially don’t monetize your blog as it is a huge turn off for visitors
- Monetize it as soon as possible because you may be losing out on opportunity.
Both of these answers are correct in some way. If you ask me this question, according to me you can start monetizing whenever you want it’s up to you. However, if you are monetizing in the beginning make sure you don’t over do it as it will hamper the experience of readers.
With that said,
There are plenty of ways to monetize your blog and I will be discussing a few below.
- Placing banner ads– Often you may have seen, websites displaying advertisements in sidebar, after post, header or even in the middle of the pages. Now, the purpose of these ads is to drive traffic to the advertiser and in return you are paid for it.
These ads are at times from advertising networks you will use such as Google Adsense, Mediavine, Monumetric Media.net and more.
- Affiliate Marketing– Affiliate marketing is another popular way of monetizing your blog. In this you recommend products to online shoppers and if they purchase is made using your link you will earn a commission.
It is important to keep in mind, affiliate marketing is not limited to certain niches of blogging. You can be a blogger in any genre to make money using this technique. All you have to do is find the products that will help your audience, enroll in affiliate pragram and promote.
Some of the popular programs you can join are Share-a-sale, Clickbank, CJ, Impact and more.
- Creating courses and E-books– Over the past decade a lot of things have changed with the internet boom. And this change is not limited to shopping industry and has had a major impact on other industries as well such as education.
And one such welcome change has been introduction of online course and e-books. Now, if you are in the education industry or want to teach online you can start by launching an e-book and later on converting it into a course. You can put a pocket friendly price tag on it and make money as well.
- Sponsored Content– This is one way quiet a lot of bloggers make money. In this companies pay you to write about a product or include links in existing articles and in return you are monetarily compensated.
When you will start getting traffic you will surely receive a lot of sponsored content opportunities and also, after working on your blog for sometimes you can reach out to brands yourself and try land some opportunities.
- Selling ad slots– If your blog starts getting decent traffic, then you can go for selling ad space on your website. For this you can create a separate advertising page, get all your numbers together and start getting in touch with brands.
- Selling products and services– We all are familiar with this and often buy products and services online. You can create an online store or even convert your blog into a business website and start selling products and services to make money
These are some ways using which you can monetize your blog.
Before we move forward, I would like to add, often blogging is taken as a quick rich scheme and that is absolutely not true. It takes a lot of patience and continuous effort to be successful in blogging.
It is always important to know the real side of things and yes with hard work, patience and a correct strategy you can create a successful blog.
FAQ about Starting a WordPress blog in 2020
Is WordPress the best platform for starting a blog?
Yes, WordPress is undoubtedly the best platform your you to start a blog. It is an open source software that powers over 35% of the web and gives you the opportunity to extend the functionality of your blog as you grow.
With WordPress you have full control over your website or blog. And on top of that you get access to library of free plugins and themes that you can use to customize your blog and add any feature you want.
What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.com is a blogging platform that allows you to create a blog for free. However, free is not that free in this case as you get very little control and to use the most basic features you need to pay. And pricing is on the higher side.
On the other hand, WordPress.org is an open source software that is available for free and it powers most sites and blogs on the internet. You only need web hosting and domain name to start a blog or a website and you get full control.
You may like to read- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
What is the difference between a blog and a website?
You may have heard the quote “All oranges are fruits but all fruits are not oranges”. This fits perfectly in this case.
There are several types of websites such as e-commerce, business, forums, directory and more. Even blog is a type of website. Each of the above type can have a blog. However, a blog cannot contain website.
Recommended read- Difference between a blog and a website
I’m not technical, can I start a blog?
The simple answer is yes you can. The only suggestion I have for a non-technical person is follow this guide thoroughly and get comfortable with the platform. Concentrate on mastering the basics first and then jump to the next level.
Do not fall for the quick rich money making schemes as there are none. Also don’t be afraid of trying new things it will improve the learning process.
Can I create a blog in language other than English?
Yes, you can. I have see quiet a lot of successful blogs in other languages or are multilingual. Also, if you are looking to change the language of WordPress to your own, then that can be done as well. If you are in the installation phase, it will ask you to select your preferred language and you can select from the list. If you are done installing then it can be changed from settings in WordPress dashboard.
How much does it cost to start a WordPress blog in 2020?
The price point of starting a blog will vary from person to person depending on what features you want and which hosting plan are you going to use.
if you want to know how much does it cost to run a blog like Blogging Unplugged. Here is a list of general expenses
Also, we have another blog that has pretty similar expenditure and it is using Premium theme from Themeforest.
How long will it take to set up my blog?
If you are looking to just buy hosting, domain name and install WordPress then it will take a maximum of 15-20 minutes.
And you want to do the complete set up as discussed in this tutorial then it will take some time.
I am using a free platform for blogging can I move to WordPress?
If you are currently using Blogspot, WordPress.com or any other platform and want to move to WordPress self hosted, you can easily do that.
There are quiet a lot of tutorials that can guide you with the process and soon we will be releasing the tutorials on these topics as well.
What is the difference between Bluehost and WordPress?
Bluehost and WordPrss are very different from each other. Bluehost is a web hosting company whereas WordPress in an open source CMS software.
You need Bluehost to host your site, in other words store your website files on their servers and show them when requested. On the other hand WordPress is a software that you need to mange your website.
To create a WordPress blog primary requirements are web hosting, domain name and CMS which in this case is WordPress.
How many posts do I need to launch my blog?
I have seen different answers to this question some say 5 or more others say 1. I launched my blog with just one post and essential pages.
You do not need 5 posts, what you need is consistency, regular efforts and a solid plan. Starting with a single post is just fine.
How frequently should I post of my blog?
When you are starting out and not have much experience with writing, I will suggest going for 2 posts a month minimum, if you are able to post more without compromising the quality then maintain that frequency.
If you are starting at lower number then try to increase the posting frequency as you get a better understanding of promotions and writing.
Be consistent, that is what matters.
How do bloggers make money?
There are quiet a lot of ways you can make money blogging. In this article, I have explained a few of those ways.
How soon can I expect to make money from my blog?
This depends on quiet a few factors such as content quality, promotional methods used, traffic you are getting, competition in your niche and more. There is no defined time frame.
I made my first income after 10 months of blogging and it was $25. After that, it has been steadily growing.
Having said that
I hope this post has helped you create a blog. If you have any queries feel free to get in touch via the contact page or social media.
Also, don’t forget to comment on what is the thing you most like about blogging share this post with your friends and colleagues.
Before you leave, feel free to check the best deals and discounts on Blogging tools. Also, to stay up to date with our content, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media.